Demigender is a group of genders, in which one is partially, but not fully a given gender. It can also describe those who feel the barest connections to a gender, but not enough to fully identify as that gender. Demigender individuals may identify as another gender in combination with demigender. Demigender can also be an identity in itself, for individuals who feel a partial connection to the concept of gender in general. Demigender individuals often identify as non-binary and may also identify as transgender.
Being demigender does not necessarily mean that one is partially a given gender and partially agender (though it can be). One can be, for example, a demiboy and a demigirl at the same time, meaning part of one's gender is boy and the other part is a girl. The "other part" of one's gender can be any gender or combination of genders.
The opposite of demigender is hypergender.
Any gender can have a demigender version of it, created by adding the demi- prefix in front of the gender. Some common examples of demigenders include:
- Demiboy: Partially a man or partially masculine.
- Demifluid: Partially fluid, with the other part being static.
- Demigirl: Partially a woman or partially feminine.
- Demineutrois: Partially neutrois.
- Deminonbinary: Partially non-binary.
- Demixenine: Partially xenine or xenogender.
- Demiagender: Partially agender, partially another gender (example: partially agender, partially aporagender).
- Demimaverique: Partially maverique.