Gender Alignment is a term used by some non-binary individuals to describe the way their experiences and/or gender may intersect with the gender binary. Related terms include female-aligned and male-aligned, and sometimes also unaligned, neutral-aligned, and xeno-aligned. An individual can also identify with multiple alignments at the same time or their alignment may be fluid and change over time.
The terms feminine aligned and masculine aligned are also sometimes used but these are not interchangeable with female-aligned and male-aligned. Someone with a feminine gender is not necessarily female or related to girls, and someone with a masculine gender is not necessarily male or related to boys Additionally some individuals may be female/male but their gender does not feel feminine/masculine.
There is no consistent definition of gender alignment. The term is intentionally vague and it can be used to describe several different things. Possible meanings can include:
- Someone who is partially a girl/boy (demigender).
- Someone who is a girl/boy in addition to other genders (bigender, trigender, or otherwise multigender.)
- Someone with a vague or partial connection to boyhood/girlhood, regardless of actual gender.
- A genderfluid or genderflux individual who is only sometimes a girl/boy or sometimes partially a girl/boy.
- Someone who connects to boyhood/girlhood through experiencing girl/boy specific attraction. For example, someone may be female-aligned because they are a lesbian/feel attraction to other girls as a girl.
- Someone with a gender similar to, but not the same as a girl/boy (juxera/proxvir).
- Someone with a vague or partial connection to masculinity/femininity, regardless of actual gender.
- A non-binary individual who presents masculinely/femininely (regardless of their actual gender).
- Someone who has experiences similar to that of a girl/boy.
- Someone who is treated as/seen as a girl/boy in society, or someone who interacts with society in a way similar to girls/boys. This includes interacting with the patriarchy as a girl/boy.
Gender alignment is something that one may identify as, but not all non-binary individuals use gender alignment. Just because one identifies themselves as a certain alignment doesn't automatically mean that someone else with a similar gender and/or experience will also identify with the same alignment or even identify with alignment at all.
Terms such as masculine aligned and feminine aligned as often misused and misunderstood by individuals who are not non-binary, and are sometimes use to imply that non-binary individuals are actually female/male. They are also misused as a way to try and associate or categorize non-binary individuals using the gender binary. The galactian alignment system was created as less easily misunderstood alternative to alignments based language.