Opalian refers to someone who is mlm, mlnb, nblm, and nblnb, meaning someone who is non-binary and a man who is attracted to men and non-binary individuals. Being "non-binary and a man" includes A) individuals who are genderfluid, and are sometimes non-binary and sometimes men. B) Bigender or multigender individuals who are men or man aligned and non-binary at the same time. C) Masculine aligned non-binary individual who feels connected to manhood as well as being non-binary. An opalian individual is attracted to non-binary individuals and men and/or prioritizes their attraction to non-binary individuals and men over other attractions they may have. Opalian is an umbrella term, like diamoric, though it can also be used as an identity by itself.
The wlw, wlnb, nblw, and nblnb equivalent is Iridian.
Opalian was coined by Tumblr user Nblmgalaxy on April 14, 2018, inspired by the term iridian. A poll was put up to decide the opalian flag. The poll concluded and the final flag was posted on April 27, 2018. The color meanings of the flag are as follows:
- Blue/lavender represents attraction to men, as the color lavender has long been an LGBTQ+ symbol, and blue is associated with masculinity in western society.
- Green represents multifaceted identity as being opalian encompasses a non-binary identity and a male/masculine identity. Yellow represents non-binary identity on many flags, and blue is traditionally masculine, so they’re blended together to make green.
- White represents expansiveness as there are many different identities that could exist alongside opalian, such as bigender, multigender, demiboy, polysexual, bisexual, etc.
- Yellow represents attraction to non-binary individuals. Yellow is typically used to represent non-binary individuals as a color that’s equally spaced from pink and blue and independent of binary associations.
- Orange represents love and warmth. A general celebration of opalian love.